A few weeks back, boyfriend and I went to Japantown in San Jose, CA and we came across a Japanese grocery market. Possibly, one of the coolest market I’ve encounter. They sold everything Japanese, even beauty products. In the Food-To-Go section, they had bento boxes, fresh fish for sushi, and already made sushi! There were curry bricks on sale and I’ve never had Japanese curry before so I decided to try it. The box of curry bricks I bought was about 2.50, which is not a bad deal because it makes about 12 servings. Here is the recipe for my shrimp tofu japanese curry!
– 1/2 a box of Japanese curry bricks (4 pieces) I used S&B Golden Curry in Medium Hot!
– 3 1/3 cups of water
– 2 medium russet potatoes
– 3 large carrots
– 1 large onion
– 1 lb raw, peeled shrimp
– 2 tbsp butter
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 1 container for medium firm tofu
1. Drain tofu and chop into small cubes.
2. Heat a little bit of oil onto a pan and pan-fry the tofu until golden color on all sides. Set aside.
3. Chop potatoes and carrots into bite size pieces. Set aside.
4. Chop onion.
5. Heat 1 tbsp of oil and 1 tbsp of butter in pot on medium heat.
6. Throw in onion and sautéed until translucent.
7. Toss in shrimp until halfway cooked, toss in tofu.
8. Add in water and 1 piece of curry brick, simmer for 20 minutes.
9. Add potatoes and carrots and rest of curry bricks and simmer for 20 minutes until carrots and potatoes are cooked to your liking.
The curry should really thicken up while it’s cooking. Serve with brown/white rice. Enjoy!
Hope you guys try it out!