Breakfast is my FAVORITE meal of the day. When I was younger, I used to be one of those children that would NEVER, NEVER eat breakfast. I wouldn’t even drink milk. My mom always said that I drank milk like a cat…I literally licked the milk. Haha. So I’ve been trying to slowly adjust over to the vegan lifestyle..trying to find alternatives to my favorite foods so that I can be successful. My two FAVORITE foods that are not vegan are sushi and cheese. I love cheese & carb..definitely my comfort food. I haven’t been able to find a good cheese alternative. I have tried daiya cheese while I was in Portland, OR because I had vegan pizza and it was honestly the best pizza I’ve ever had. (I’ll do a separate post on my trip to Portland and the best VEGAN spots there..) The best thing I’ve found that is super creamy, delicious, and could replace my obsession with cheese is AVOCADO. When I put avocado in my sandwiches, toast, burritos, and burgers; I don’t really need the cheese and I don’t miss it!
Here’s a SIMPLE recipe to my favorite breakfast. I eat this about 4-5 times a week and seem to never get tired of it. & Best of all, it’s VEGAN!
– Your choice of bread (my favorites are whole wheat and sourdough)
– Whipped Earth Balance butter
– Sliced avocado (I use about 1/2)
– 1 tsp of toasted flax seeds (I get mine at Trader Joe’s and it costs about $3. Good deal)
1. Toast your bread.
2. Spread a layer of butter on it.
3. Slice the avocados and place it on the bread.
4. Sprinkle some toasted flax seeds.
5. ENJOY. Honestly, it is SO delicious!
Sometimes I will substitute the flax seeds with chia seeds and it’s equally delicious. The good thing about chia seeds is they have great nutritional value and expand in your stomach, keeping you fuller for longer! *Good diet tip! Let me know if you guys try it and what you think.